Thursday, April 11, 2019

April 12

Please help Ms. Kirschner (my long-time, dear friend) run a smooth class today, while I get some PT.

She will help you scroll through the images; writing prompts; writing; and discussion. Then move you on towards a couple of other activities.

You will need your notebooks, as you will be taking notes, and writing journal entries today. Writing prompts and discussion prompts are in purple italic.

Today you are going to consider "Craftsmanship." Maybe you'll also get a better sense of how good a job you are doing in class.

I (Mr. Zartler) am not a "Master" Woodworker (I'm a Journeyman -- yes the term is sexist, I don't yet have a better one). A Journeyman is a crafts or trades person who is good enough to do work on their own, but who needs some time and practice before they ought to be training others who might one day want to be masters of their craft. (And a Journeyman is good enough to help train beginners -- often called Apprentices.) 

Here is a piece I did not too long ago that represents my best work.



But today I want to talk about tool boxes. The next photo is a tool box (ok, tool chest) I finished last month. (This is a prototype to see if I like the layout and style. If it works well I'll make a fancier version one day.)


When you look at this piece what does it make you think about me (Zartler) as a maker / woodworker? Why? Any other interesting thoughts?







Side note: The tool chest used to be how a woodworker advertised their skill to potential clients. It was often the last thing an Apprentice built before being declared a Journeyman by their Master. When a client came to the Journeyman's shop (or the Journeyman showed up at someone's place to do work) the chest would get a serious checking out to see if the woodworker knew what he (it was a sexist time) was doing.

I became a serious student of woodworking less than five years ago. About six years ago, right before I took my second woodworking class, I made this tool box to carry my tools to school:



When you look at this piece what does it make you think about me (Zartler) as a maker / woodworker?


(This space intentionally left blank so as not to give anything away)





When I built it, I was very much trying to create a box that told made a statement to the other students: What do you think that statement was? (Oral responses / discussion).



(This space intentionally left blank so as not to give anything away)





When I'd taken my first wood working class, a year earlier, I was the most beginnery, ham-fisted, didn't-know-anything student in class. AND I was the last one to finish.

I made the tool box to say to all the new students (and the teacher?) "Hey, I can make things in wood. I know stuff. Look at me, I'm not the worst woodworker here."

Does that surprise you? Why or why not?






By the way, I was the BEST student in the second class. Really. I was much better, and more experienced, and faster than the other fellow in the class .... 


About eight years ago, before I had taken any classes, my (ex)-wife asked me to make her a tool box for her studio. This is what I made her:



When you look at this piece how does it make you think of me as a woodworker, but more interestingly, how does what you see about my woodworking make you feel about YOUR woodworking?




Please share some of what you have written and discuss as a class.


Take a few moments to write down any new thoughts -- especially about the positive things you can recognize about your own work now.



I love teaching woodworking, because woodworking has been very useful for teaching me stuff about myself.

What has woodworking taught you about yourself (you can be honest, no one will make you share anything)?


We are going to click away from the blog for a minute to read a short essay in an online magazine called Craftsmanship Quarterly.


After reading: Finding Your Ikigai in Craftsmanship

Please write a response to what you read, see, and hear in your notebook.


After writing you may wish to share thoughts:



Thank you for thinking about these ideas today. Next I thought you could watch and learn about building a tool chest. As you watch you might focus on the "how," but you might also focus on the "why," or on the alignment of the maker and the attention to detail and quality.

Video One: Roy Underhill, the Woodwright works with Christopher Schwartz who is a contemporary woodworker who is passionate about hand tools:
Anarchist's Tool Chest with Christopher Schwartz

If you ahve three minutes, check this out: The Studley Tool Chest


I don't think you'll have time to view another, but this one is also fun: the Woodwright and Peter Follansbee


Thanks,
See you next week -- or come by after school, I'll be back this afternoon.

Z



No comments:

Post a Comment